Abundant presence of some vital hormones in pregnancy is observed as a blissful period for both skin and hair. Pregnant women observe a radiant skin and luscious hair if their nutritional status is well maintained.
However after delivery withdrawal of certain hormones (which were the cause of beautiful hair and skin), results in skin changes like pigmentation, acne breakouts, under eye dark circles, sagginess of skin, stretch marks and hair loss. These added to post delivery mood swings can be very depressing for the mother as self esteem regarding body image is already lowered. Dr. Aman Dua, a dermatologist and co-founder at AK Clinics, gives out the reasons and remedies to deal with post pregnancy hair loss and breakouts:
Reasons for Hair-loss
Hair-loss after delivery can happen due to many reasons. The main causative factor is hormonal withdrawal. Female hormones present during pregnancy are promoters of hair growth. After delivery the withdrawal of these hormones takes around 4-6 months to be appreciated. This withdrawal correlates with the time of teething of the child leading to the popular belief that teething leads to hair loss in mother. Other causative factors which contribute to hair-loss in this period are excessive blood loss during delivery leading to iron deficiency, low calcium and vitamin D levels, poor nutrition, stress and lack of sleep.
Managing Postpartum hair-loss
9. Avoid stress and lack of sleep as this can be a major cause of hair loss in post delivery period.
Certain Do’s and Dont’s
- Skin also shows a lot of changes like acne breakouts due to hormonal changes and diet patterns.
- One must drink lots of water (at-least 12-15 glasses per day) along with salads and fruits.
- Avoid fat rich and sugary diet. It will also promote skin lightening. The so called pregnancy mask or melasma on face can also improve with good diet.
- Avoid heavy sun exposure like sitting in sun in winters and use good quality sunscreen while moving out. Acne can improve with anti-acne face wash and use of oil free moisturizers.
- Use of cold water for face wash is recommended as hot water dries out skin leading to skin chapping. Avoid facials in acne. One can go for home made masks. Regular grooming of skin along with proper sleep restores one’s self confidence.
Pregnancy is a period of lots of skin and body changes and post delivery one wants to enjoy the motherhood. Lets make the skin and hair better with proper care and attention.